Friday, August 8, 2008

Day Two-God Bless the Hanna's from Liberty, MO

We waited about three hours and around 7am, Kevin ran in to go to the bathroom and a truck driver pulled up. He asked me if I needed a ride and I said yes, but explained that Kevin was inside and he'd be back any second. The driver looked at his watch and said he didn't have much time. Just then, Kevin came out and we jumped in. Again, I sat in the back and Kevin up front.

About ten minutes into the ride, I noticed that the driver had a sex toy (simulated vagina) sitting next to the bed I was sitting on. I was EXTREMELY creeped out, but knew we were only going about 60 miles from the east side of St. Louis to the west side to another truck stop, so I just sat there waiting for the ride to end. Just as we pulled into the truck stop, Kevin looked back at me and he saw the toy. His eyes got huge and he looked at me in horror. I gave him a look to say "I KNOW. TRUST ME, I KNOW." What was I supposed to say? "Umm...excuse me sir, but your vagina is CREEPING. ME. OUT."

We got out as quickly as possible. It was about 7am and we were in Kingdom City, MO at an exit with two HUGE truck stops next to each other. The amount of traffic going in and out looked promising.

We went into a Denny's and had a bite to eat, brushed our teeth and cleaned up. We went out and started waiting at a spot between both of the truck stops where all the trucks were entering and exiting. We waited, and waited…and waited some more. We moved up closer to the road, no luck. We moved directly to the exit ramp and stood there. No luck. It was 2pm now and we had been waiting for seven hours. We were getting frustrated because people would look at us and lock their doors or mouth the words "no money". We weren't asking for money, we only wanted a ride. It bothered us that people automatically thought we would try and get into their cars or wanted money. We didn't look dirty or homeless. We both were at the point of giving up and just going to set up our tent. We were both sun burnt and tired.

Just as we were gathering our packs, a car pulled over. It was a couple named Nikki and Glen that were headed to Kansas City and said they'd give us a ride there. We piled in and both of us fell asleep almost immediately. They ended up dropping us off at an exit in the suburbs on the east side of Kansas City.

It was now around 5pm on Friday and the closest place to eat was Red Lobster. We split a meal and started walking to a truck stop. As we were walking in about 100-degree heat, a woman came running up behind us. She asked us if we needed a ride and explained that she and her husband were going the opposite direction but she had told him to turn around to help us. She said, "It's way too hot for you to be carrying all that stuff."

They took us back to their house, let us use the internet, offered us water and food. We had just eaten, but we filled up our water bottles and accepted another that they gave us. We never did get their first names, but their last name was Hanna. She had to go to a church meeting or something but he offered to take us anywhere we needed to go. He ended up taking us to the other side of Kansas City, MO and dropped us off in Bonner Springs, KS.

By then, it was about 8pm and raining so we decided to just stay in Bonner Springs for the night. We had a Frosty from Wendy's and fell asleep immediately from exhaustion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly where you guys were in Kingdon City- its half way between STL and Columbia- which is where I went to school. yep. = )